Bad Girl's Guide

Friday, June 15, 2007

Returning Gifts Post Breakup

Most people believe that once a gift is given, regardless of what it is, it remains property of the receiver. However for some petty reason post breakup, a good portion of couples want to divide assets as if they were squabbling over divorce property. One of my good college friends would never, ever give a gift back post breakup. She'd rather keep it and have a burning party of her own a la Waiting to Exhale, keep it because she likes it, or sell it on Ebay for some cold hard cash. Her theory was that he gave it to her and possession is 9/10ths of the law and what's he going to do with used items anyway?

Where does the line fall a reader asked me via email last night? Here's what I think should be returned and what should be kept.
  1. The Engagement/Wedding Rings: This goes back. I've watched enough episodes of Judge Judy to know that the ring automatically defaults to the giver...unless you paid for it---in which case, WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BUY YOUR OWN ENGAGEMENT RING?
  2. Electronics: This falls into the gray zone apparently. If it's purchased by the both of you, then one person should buy the other out. However, if you want to be a bitch, keep the 64 inch flat screen plasma and stick him with the Best Buy bill. (Seriously---don't do this, he could take you to court for it!) Smaller items like cameras, cell phones, Ipods etc. you keep.
  3. Lingerie: Ummm, you keep this. What you choose to do with it is up to you.
  4. Heirlooms: This has to be returned. If it's his grandmother's pillow, mothers jewelry or father's watch...anything that belongs to a member of his family gets returned.
  5. Clothes: When the Boyfriend and I moved in together, he had this really cute pair of Tommy Hilfiger pajamas with hearts all over them. He was sorting his clothes and asked me whether to throw it into the donation pile or not. Apparently, one of his exes had given it to him the Valentine's day before he met me. You could tell from his eyes that he was actually nervous with what my reaction would be. "You should keep them," I said. "Really??" he replied, so surprised by my words. "Oh yes, they fit me perfectly," I stated as I slipped into them and forever claimed those Pjs. They are still my favorite pajamas. Thanks ex-chick! Oh yeah, so the point of this was to say---that clothes, I guess you can keep so your new chick can rock them...lol
Okay, that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has anything else to add, leave a comment. And to everyone that is going to read the Erotica novella...I'm still working on it but it should be done in a few days. Thanks!

Labels: ,


Posted by Vixen @ 12:00 AM :: 13 trainees letting it rip!

Talk to Me!

---------------oOo---------------