Bad Girl's Guide

Saturday, June 30, 2007

On Being a Good Girl

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day who has been known, since the college years as the good girl of our bunch. I haven't spoken to her in a while and was actually surprised that she had still kept her good girl image practically pristine since graduation. (We all know what happened to my good girl image...;)

She stated that even though she was a good girl in actions, she grew to resent the fact that everyone expected her to be good all the time. She somehow got caught up in this quandary of being the responsible staid nice girl. The kind of girl you would take home to your mama. To quote her directly;
However, I know that for a good part of my life, it was just a facade. I wasn't truly "good" in the sense of the word - I was scared. Scared to defy my family, community, and society. I was just talking to one of my friends about this - we did everything that was expected and kept our "reputations" (almost!) intact as expected. Did the majority of things right and by the book. Thing is - I enjoyed the accolades and resented them at the same time. Felt like I had to live up to a certain standard that was forced upon me. Obviously, I chose to take it on, but that's how I felt.
And now she found herself stuck in a pigeon hole as the nice girl. So the question here is how does a good girl break out of that shell?

My advice wouldn't do her good in this instance, because I actually blew out of the hole with both barrels of my gun blazing. Vixen appeared out of nowhere and what everyone thought was a 'phase' actually morphed into simply the true me. My family is still surprised at my full about face even though it's been years since I considered myself good.

So, is there any advice you have for my friend? I know there are tons of you good girls turned bad and lovin' it so there has got to be a way to ease her, her family and friends into this new phase.

Posted by Vixen @ 5:17 AM :: 9 trainees letting it rip!

Talk to Me!

---------------oOo---------------